The Nova Scotia SPCA is seeking an Animal Care Attendant for the Nova Scotia SPCA, Colchester Shelter. This individual participates in the day to day animal care and operational practices of an Animal Shelter making certain they are compliant with the Society’s animal care standards.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all duties related to the care of animals (cleaning of the holding areas, assuring that animals receive food and water, bathing and basic grooming). Provides humane handling and restraining techniques.
- Pick up dogs impounded by Animal Control Officer, and transport to the SPCA shelter.
- Observes animals for signs of illnesses or injuries and reports symptoms to the appropriate personnel. Administers medications and assists as required by restraining animals, grooming, health checks, flea treatments and administering parasite control.
- Performs continual maintenance duties that include repairs and upkeep. Cleans all equipment and work areas to maintain the highest standard of cleanliness and sanitation, including but not limited to dishes, cleaning, laundry, and animal care (direct contact with dogs and/or cats and other companion animals)
- Follows health and safety regulations and protocols.
- Maintain accurate records for animal inventory, health, medications, treatments, procedures and behaviour history.
- Assists the Animal Care Supervisor with the oversight of behavioral assessments of animals.
- May occasionally be required to handle public inquiries, in person, via social medial and via phone system, routing inquiries to the proper person and responding to inquires;
- Provides outstanding customer service;
- Communicates to the public the principles that convey and impart an understanding of the policies and procedures of the Nova Scotia SPCA.
- Provide a wide range of administrative and clerical duties, and work well with low supervision.
- Maintain positive interactions with the public, staff and volunteers in a fast paced, sometimes hectic and noisy environment while remaining calm, focused, resourceful and efficient is critical to this role.
- General office duties including filing and stocking photocopies
- Maintain the cleanliness of the office(s) main spaces, emptying garbage’s, weekly floor mopping, sweeping ect.
- Maintain and organize the storage spaces (both within the office and at storage unit)
- Run errands as needed.
- Daily data entry to update and maintain databases
- Assist with all other duties as required
In addition to the duties listed above, the SPCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; acts as a role model within and outside the shelter; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; demonstrates exceptional customer service; communicates regularly with supervisor about issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position; participates in events and on committees as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
- Experience working with dogs of various breeds and sizes would be an asset
- Demonstrates animal control knowledge, including proper restraining techniques an asset.
- Knowledge of animal behaviours, and basic obedience training methods an asset.
- Ability to identify signs of illnesses, diseases and injuries an asset.
- Ability to identify different medications and methods of administration an asset.
- Ability to perform sanitation procedures and general maintenance.
- Employee must demonstrate ability to work effectively with others (including co-workers, customers, volunteers and others) by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; and addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
- Employees must demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Proactive, independent, and organized.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, experience handling customer inquiries an asset
- Must work well independently and in a team environment.
- Trustworthy (criminal record check required).
- Personal adherence to SPCA code of conduct and within SPCA recommended best practices.
- This position requires a flexible schedule, must be able to travel including evenings and weekends and be on call, must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Driver’s license is an asset
- This is a very physically demanding position that may require long periods of standing, bending, kneeling and/or heavy lifting.
- Medically and physically fit to work in all weather conditions (cold, hot, rain, etc) as this position may require bending, lifting and transporting animals in need.
- Animal care experience in a shelter or vet clinic/boarding clinic setting an asset.
- Dog care and dog behavioural training and experience in a doggie day care, animal shelter, veterinary clinic or dog training facility would be an asset.
- Basic computer skills sufficient to deal effectively with the necessary front office routines
- Completion of Grade 12 mandatory
- Degree/diploma/certificate in animal care recognized program an asset.
- Courses in safe handling of dogs/handling of dangerous dogs an asset.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. SPCA provides a competitive salary and a rewarding work environment. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is our intention to start reviewing resume’s asap and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this posting remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote “Colchester Animal Care Attendant” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.