The successful candidate will be required to work weekends, evenings and/or a rotation schedule. In addition, the candidate must also be available to work stand-by shifts as required to respond to after hour’s emergencies. You are an energetic person who is not afraid of hard work and you get things done. You care deeply about animals and are passionate about their welfare.
This position will carry out the full range of duties of an Animal Control Officer relating to provincial and municipal laws relevant to animals. This position will respond to injured domestic animals so you must live in the Cape Breton area and be familiar with the region. You also have knowledge of the local Dog By-Laws.
Your excellent computer skills will assist you in maintaining the comprehensive records of the animals in our care. This position requires you to have a valid Driver’s License. You will also be required to supply a Driver’s Abstract.
Knowledge & Qualifications/Skills required:
- Minimum one year practical experience working with animals or equivalent
- Valid Class Driver’s License and Driver’s Abstract
- Demonstrable interest in all aspects of animal welfare
- A sound knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and more common diseases
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team player and demonstrate well-developed interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills and a professional demeanor
- Must possess excellent verbal, written and organizational skills
- Must be able to work with other staff, volunteers, and the public in a positive, practical manner and be able to work with minimum supervision
- Basic computer skills sufficient to deal effectively with the necessary front office routines
- Will require criminal records check and will require appointment from Department of Justice.