The Thrift Store Coordinator provides supervision, oversight and management of Society’s thrift store operations and volunteers. The Thrift Store Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, training & managing volunteers at the Nova Scotia SPCA Thrift Stores, including the aspects of maintaining daily operations and a safe and healthy working and shopping environment for customers and security of operational functions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Volunteer Management
- Recruit, train and supervise a volunteer base of up to 50 people
- Develop schedules for volunteers to ensure adequate personnel at the store to accomplish tasks and respond to customers.
- Maintain current knowledge of Society policies and procedures as they relate to personnel; monitor volunteers for adherence to policies and procedures; take corrective action as necessary to ensure volunteers are in compliance.
- Conduct regularly scheduled communication with volunteers to provide direction, guidance and oversight.
- Consult with volunteers on a regular basis, addressing concerns and sharing ideas.
- Provide timely direction and written and verbal feedback to volunteers.
- Assist in volunteer training in Society policies and procedures.
Store Management & Merchandising
- Oversee the processing of donated items; manage the rotation of items and the disposal of donated items in a timely fashion.
- Processes include: sorting, tagging, displaying and disposing of donated items, providing leadership to volunteers; uphold Society standards for merchandise and communicate same.
- Manage supply inventory.
- At the direction of the Director of Communications and Retail Manager, assist in the implementation of written procedures for store operations, including opening and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash, and other relevant procedures as needed.
- Participate in training required by accreditation standards, plus performance and quality improvement efforts.
- Collaborate and communicate with all Nova Scotia SPCA staff and volunteers to remain consistent in policies and procedures regarding item and volunteer solicitation.
- Adhere to all Society policies and procedures.
- Complete and submit all required and assigned paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
Marketing & Promotion
• Assist in the display of merchandise inside the store to enhance the appearance and appeal of the store.
- Provide service to customers according to standards and ensures volunteers follow same standards.
- Promote excellence in the customer service experience for all visitors to the thrift store through volunteer training.
- Use Society resources (financial and non-financial) prudently.
- Acknowledge and follow financial policies of the Society.
Perform other duties as required
In addition to having the ability to travel and a valid Driver’s license, the following are some of the skills required of a Nova Scotia SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator.
- High School diploma, 1-2 years of retail/resale experience. Previous thrift or consignment store experiences a definite plus.
- Experience in working with and/or overseeing volunteers (1-2 years) required.
- Punctual, reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
- Strong verbal, writing & organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to serve clients in a professional, welcoming, and efficient manner.
- Experience with cash registers and “point of sale,” computerized sales & inventory systems is a definite plus.
- Valid driver’s license and legally required insurance.
- Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees and volunteers to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the Society.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced and growth-oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of The Nova Scotia SPCA.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work weekends and/or evenings, as needed.
- Completion of Grade 12 mandatory
- Degree/diploma/certificate in business, office administration, or accounting an asset. Combination of
education and experience may be considered.
- Requires ability to stand up to 3-7 hours per day with frequent walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
- Requires ability to keyboard at computer for up to 2 hours per day.
- May be required to lift items 20-50 pounds and assist in 2-person lifts in excess of 100 pounds.
Hours of Work
Work responsibilities require a standard 40 hours per week plus additional overtime as required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. The Society provides a competitive salary, benefit package and a rewarding work environment. The Nova Scotia SPCA Provincial Office is located in Dartmouth NS. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is our intention to start reviewing resume’s on immediately and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this job description remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote ” New Minas SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator ” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however; only those selected for interview will be contacted.