The Nova Scotia SPCA is a registered charity with a Provincial Office in Halifax and supports communities throughout Nova Scotia. The following opportunity is available at our Provincial Office located in Dartmouth NS.
The Nova Scotia SPCA anticipates a $250,000 operating deficit for 2016 and need an individual who can focus on the many major gift opportunities we know exist within our Society.
The Nova Scotia SPCA seeks an accomplished, dynamic development professional to lead our Major Gift Program. The ideal candidate is a leader and team player with a passion for the organization’s mission. Successful candidate will have a minimum of five years’ experience in fund development including major gifts/planned gifts and capital campaigns. Raiser’s Edge experience preferred; CFRE credentials a plus.
- Develop and implement comprehensive plans for individual strategies to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift prospects and donors
- Develop proposals and work with donors to generate gifts for priority programs and projects
- Lead the planning and implementation of strategies to cultivate major gift donations
- Achieve activity and financial goals with metrics to measure and to evaluate success for major gift giving
- Collaborate with the Management team to determine the best strategies for effective stewardship of donors that will both foster and nurture long-term donor relationships
- Prepare the delivery of donor agreements, accountability stewardship reports and donor pledge materials
- Provide leadership and participate with the team to prepare individualized stewardship plans and to attend stewardship meetings with The Nova Scotia SPCA’s donors
- Provide advice and develop strategies, solutions and responses for complex donor-related issues
- Work collaboratively with colleagues on ideation and development of a range of donor communications vehicles, including public recognition to celebrating major contributions
- Track cultivation, donation requests and stewardship activities and documents in Raiser’s Edge
- Perform other duties as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
- Proven ability to develop and to manage a proactive successful major gifts fundraising program
- 5 years’ experience in the not-for-profit environment
- Proven ability to coordinate, negotiate and foster a positive work environment; must demonstrate tact and diplomacy
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Capable of working in a multi-faceted, fast-paced environment
- Strong strategic thinker with proven analytical skills
- Comprehensive understanding of traditional and emerging donor relations best practices
- Strong attention to detail; superb organization and problem-solving skills
- Track record of initiating and completing projects in a timely manner
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge fundraising database, Word, Excel and social media experience
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a small office environment
- Positive and professional
- This position requires a flexible schedule. Evenings and weekends may be required, must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Driver’s license is required
- Ability to lift and carry objects and animals of moderate weight
- Ability to lift, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, push and other physical activities.
Hours of Work
Schedule and hours can be flexible and negotiated. This is a 6-month contract position with the possibility of renewal.
Please quote “Major Gift Coordinator” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.