The Nova Scotia SPCA is recruiting a dynamic, results-oriented individual with a desire to grow professionally and able to handle a very diverse list of duties and responsibilities. The Provincial Director of Communications Position is a key member of the Nova Scotia SPCA team and is primarily responsible for the development, execution and evaluation of communication strategies and materials designed to enhance the Society’s overall programs and reputation.
Include (but are not limited to):
- Oversee the development and implementation of a communications/public relations strategy to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences
- Proactively seek out opportunities to advocate on behalf of the Society with the goal to increase awareness, financial support and drive traffic to our shelters and thrift stores across the Province
- Monitor current events;
- Ensure SPCA website is regularly updated and appropriately maintained, contains relevant messaging that engages the public, cultivates relationships and builds support for SPCA programs
- Develop and Coordinate communication – primarily through creation of regular publications (e.g. newsletters & blogs), communications channels including social media and SPCA website;
- Oversee the research and development of policy position papers, briefing notes, submissions and other reports to help advance the priorities of the Nova Scotia SPCA;
- Maintain information in shelters for public (e.g. rack cards, program fact sheets, brochures);
- Maintain and ensure properly branded signage in SPCA shelters, thrift stores and at our external events
- Act as a secondary SPCA media spokesperson (to the CEO/CPI/Provincial Director of Animal Care) as required;
- Advise CEO on effective communications strategies with community members and stakeholders, as appropriate, depending on circumstances;
- Conduct ongoing environmental scanning to identify emerging issues, and lead the implementation of strategies to address those issues.
- Assist with the executive communications and speechwriting for SPCA leadership as requested; think and write strategically and creatively about a range of community impact issues in a variety of media
- Develop and deliver an annual communications plan, with goals of promoting strategy and brand awareness and inspiring engagement within and outside the organization
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values results and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach
Qualifications & Required Skills
- University degree or equivalent of education and experience in Public Relations or a related field;
- 5 years of relevant communications and advocacy experience;
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate staff and work collaboratively in an inclusive and collaborative team environment are essential
- Demonstrated experience working directly with CEO and/or Executive leaders in support of communications and public engagement strategies
- Strong strategic and practical knowledge of the digital/social communications channels and their use within the context of an overall communications strategy and day to day public relations practice
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent judgment, discretion and interpersonal skills; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and drive collaboration across multiple areas of the organization
- The ability to calmly, professionally problem solve in stressful situations
- Detail- and process- oriented with a big-picture/strategic view
- Post-secondary degree in communications, political science or public administration preferred
- Proficient with Adobe software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel & Powerpoint
- Proficient graphic design skills
- Working knowledge of WordPress
- Working knowledge of printing processes
- High attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Creative thinker and problem solver with analytical mind
- Strong project management skills with an ability to organize and pull together many pieces of information into a succinct outcome
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. The Society provides a competitive salary, benefit package and a rewarding work environment. Our office is located in Dartmouth. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to email@example.com. It is our intention to start reviewing resume’s immediately and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this job description remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote “Provincial Director of Communications” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however; only those selected for interview will be contacted.