The Thrift Store Coordinator provides supervision, oversight and management of Society’s thrift store operations and volunteers. The Thrift Store Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, training & managing volunteers at the Nova Scotia SPCA Thrift Stores, including the aspects of maintaining daily operations and a safe and healthy working and shopping environment for customers and security of operational functions.
- Recruit, train and supervise a volunteer base of up to 50 people for the thrift store
- Develop schedules for volunteers to ensure adequate personnel at the store to accomplish tasks and respond to customers.
- Expand foster volunteer base, ensuring proper administration, recruitment and retention
- Maintain current knowledge of Society policies and procedures as they relate to personnel; monitor volunteers for adherence to policies and procedures; take corrective action as necessary to ensure volunteers are in compliance.
- Conduct regularly scheduled communication with volunteers to provide direction, guidance and oversight.
- Consult with volunteers on a regular basis, addressing concerns and sharing ideas.
- Provide timely direction and written and verbal feedback to volunteers.
- Assist in volunteer training in Society policies and procedures.
- Oversee the processing of donated items; manage the rotation of items and the disposal of donated items in a timely fashion.
- Processes include: sorting, tagging, displaying and disposing of donated items, providing leadership to volunteers; uphold Society standards for merchandise and communicate same
- Manage supply inventory.
- At the direction of the Provincial Communications and Retail Manager, assist in the implementation of written procedures for store operations, including opening and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash, and other relevant procedures as needed.
- Participate in training required by accreditation standards, plus performance and quality improvement efforts.
- Assist in the display of merchandise inside the store to enhance the appearance and appeal of the store.
- Facilitate front desk and office procedures, including social media, customer service and procedure coordination. Evaluate and suggest process improvements.
- Work with Provincial leadership team on various fundraising initiatives including the continued enhancement of revenue streams that align with our mission and improve our ability to support a greater number of animals in need.
- Assists in writing grant proposals
- Coordinates with Provincial Accounting, Development and Communication programs to facilitate administrative procedures and assists with marketing for province-wide initiatives.
- Provide service to customers according to standards and ensures volunteers follow same standards.
- Promote excellence in the customer service experience for all visitors to the Animal Shelter & Thrift store through volunteer training.
- Use Society resources (financial and non-financial) prudently.
- Acknowledge and follow financial policies of the Society
- Perform other duties as required
In addition to having the ability to travel and a valid Driver’s license, the following are some of the skills required of a Nova Scotia SPCA Thrift Store Coordinator.
- High School diploma, 1-2 years of retail/resale experience. Previous thrift or consignment store experiences a definite plus
- Experience in working with and/or overseeing volunteers (1-2 years) required.
- Punctual, reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
- Strong verbal, writing & organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to serve clients in a professional, welcoming, and efficient manner.
- Experience with cash registers and “point of sale,” computerized sales & inventory systems is a definite plus.
- Valid driver’s license and legally required insurance.
- Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees and volunteers to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the Society.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced and growth-oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of The Nova Scotia SPCA.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work weekends and/or evenings, as needed.
- Completion of Grade 12 mandatory
- Degree/diploma/certificate in business, office administration, or accounting an asset. Combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Requires ability to stand up to 3-7 hours per day with frequent walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
- Requires ability to keyboard at computer for up to 2 hours per day.
- May be required to lift items 20-50 pounds and assist in 2-person lifts in excess of 100 pounds.
Hours of Work
Work responsibilities require a standard 40 hours per week plus additional overtime as required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.