The Nova Scotia SPCA is seeking an Animal Care Attendant for the Nova Scotia SPCA Antigonish Office. This individual participates in the day to day animal care and operational practices of a foster based SPCA location making certain they are compliant with the Society’s animal care standards.
This position is being advertised under the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) initiative. To be eligible for this position, you must be between 15 and 30 years of age on the start date of the job. You also must have been a full-time student during the previous academic year and be intending to return to full-time studies in the next academic year. You also must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You must also be legally entitled to work according to relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
Hours 35 per week for 8 weeks, starting ASAP.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all duties related to the care of animals (cleaning of the holding areas, assuring that animals receive food and water, bathing and basic grooming). Provides humane handling and restraining techniques.
- Maintain accurate records for animal inventory, health, medications, treatments, procedures and behaviour history.
- Answers multi-phone system, routing inquiries to the proper person/Branch and initiates messages for follow up;
- Provides outstanding customer service;
- Communicates to the public the principles that convey and impart an understanding of the policies and procedures of the Nova Scotia SPCA.
- Provide a wide range of administrative and clerical duties, and work well with low supervision.
- Maintain positive interactions with the public, staff and volunteers in a fast paced, sometimes hectic and noisy environment while remaining calm, focused, resourceful and efficient is critical to this role.
- Assist members of the public in person, over the phone, via social media and via email communication for a large portion of the day.
- General office duties including filing and stocking photocopies
- Assist with all other duties as required, including but not limited to dishes, cleaning, laundry, and animal care (direct contact with dogs and/or cats)
- Maintain the cleanliness of the office(s) main spaces, emptying garbage’s, weekly floor mopping, sweeping ect.
- Maintain and organize the storage spaces (both within the office and at storage unit)
- Run errands as needed.
- Daily data entry to update and maintain databases
- Attend offsite fundraising events.
- Coordinate and oversee volunteer activities such as local fundraisers.
In addition to the duties listed above, the SPCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; acts as a role model within and outside the shelter; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; demonstrates exceptional customer service; communicates regularly with supervisor about issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position; participates in events and on committees as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
- Proactive, independent, and organized.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, experience handling customer inquiries.
- Must be punctual and reliable.
- Must work well independently and in a team environment.
- Trustworthy (criminal record check required).
- Availability for various shifts (varies between the hours of 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday and Saturday and Sunday 8am to 5pm, subject to change)
- Personal adherence to SPCA code of conduct and within SPCA recommended best practices.
- This position requires a flexible schedule. Evenings and weekends will be required, must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Driver’s license is an asset
- This is a very physically demanding position that may require long periods of standing, bending, kneeling and/or heavy lifting.
- Customer service experience in person, over the phone and via email required.
- Animal care experience in a shelter or vet clinic/boarding clinic setting an asset.
- Completion of Grade 12 mandatory
- Degree/diploma/certificate in animal care recognized program an asset.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. SPCA provides a competitive salary and a rewarding work environment. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is our intention to start reviewing resume’s asap and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this posting remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote “Antigonish Summer Student Animal Care Attendant” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.