Antigonish Friends of the SPCA
Following a citizen’s meeting on October 23, 1991 Antigonish Friends of the SPCA was approved by the Nova Scotia SPCA and became a non-profit registered charity. At the time, it served the assigned coverage area of Antigonish Town and County, Guysborough County, and all areas surrounding to Auld’s Cove.
In more recent years it also assigned and agreed to serve the additional coverage areas of Port Hawkesbury, Port Hastings, and Point Tupper. We now serve all the Quad County area: Antigonish County. Guysborough County, Inverness County and Richmond County.
Antigonish Friends of the SPCA is 100% volunteer run. The foster care program has greatly expanded and the number of volunteers especially among St. F.X. university students has grown as well.
Adopting an animal from an SPCA, humane organization or rescue group can be a very rewarding experience.
You will be giving a homeless animal a second chance in life and providing it with a safe, loving “forever” home.
Cats or Kittens Adoption Fee - $150.00 for Cats & Kittens
Dogs or Puppies Adoption Fee - $260 for Dogs | $310 for Puppies
- Examination by a Veterinarian
- Flea/Parasite Treatment
- Feline Leukemia Test (cats)
- Vaccines to time of Adoption (core vaccines only)
- Spay or Neuter Surgery (including kittens and puppies)
- 8 week trial of NS SPCA Pet Insurance
Items We Need
- Kitty Litter (clumping unscented preferred), litter boxes and scoops
- Canned (wet) cat food
- New or used small to large cat carriers
- Paper towels, Javex and latex gloves
- Gift cards for grocery stores, department stores or office supply stores
- Hill’s® Science Diet® Wet or Dry Cat or Dog food
Ways To Be Involved
Antigonish Friends of the SPCA, serving the Quad County, is looking for skilled and dedicated volunteers. Dedicated to preventing animal cruelty and promoting respect and humane care for animals, we are looking for like minded people to join us!
The following volunteer opportunities are available:
Animal Intake Coordinator – You will be the first point of contact for animals in need by being responsible for triaging all animals waiting to be brought into the care of the Antigonish Friends of the SPCA. In this position, you will work closely with our Foster Care Coordinator. You must be organized, have excellent communication skills and basic computer skills.
- triage phone calls and create a wait list for placement of animals in need of care
- communicate with foster coordinator for up to date list of available foster families
- complete intake of animals at prearranged times during office hours
- create and maintain intake records on computer data base (training provided)
- maintain Nova Scotia SPCA code of conduct and confidentiality
Interested? Contact us to apply or to get more information.
Love Animals? Become a Foster!
Antigonish Friends of the SPCA has no shelter. We depend on foster homes to give us the capacity to rescue animals in need. Everyday we receives phone calls from the public requesting help with stray, abandoned and homeless animals. We cannot rescue without foster homes.
The role of fosters is to provide love, patience and a safe environment where a cat or dog can be cared for while they wait for a permanent adoptive home.
We supply everything you need. You supply the LOVE!
To become a foster and join a vital community of support for the Antigonish Friends of the SPCA, please contact us.
Join Our Fundraising Team!
Staff a special event, ticket table or BBQ. Even organize your own fundraiser for the Antigonish Friends of the SPCA. We always have lots of fun! Contact us to join our team.
3067A Post Rd, Antigonish, NS
PO Box 1421, Antigonish, NS B2G 2L4
902-863-2111 or 844-835-4798
Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs 12-4pm