Provincial Animal Shelter
|Sunday||11am - 3pm|
|Tuesday||12pm - 7pm|
|Wednesday||10am - 4pm|
|Thursday||12pm - 7pm|
|Friday||10am - 4pm|
|Saturday||10am - 4pm|
The Provincial Animal Shelter, formerly the Metro HRM Shelter, is located in the Burnside Industrial Park in Dartmouth. It serves as a provincial animal care facility for animals seized or surrendered through cruelty investigations from across Nova Scotia. Working with the provincial Nova Scotia SPCA, the shelter helps coordinate the sheltering and fostering of abused and neglected animals.
The shelter’s adoption centre provides a welcoming environment where prospective pet owners can be matched with the many dogs, cats and other small animals available for adoption. Shelter staff and volunteers work with adopters to identify the best companion for them, and educational material is available on site and online to help new pet owners. Public donations to the Provincial Animal Shelter help offset the often significant costs of animal care for these animals, a service for which the shelter does not receive any government funding.
Top Ten Most Needed Items:
- Kitty Litter (non clumping or Yesterday's news)
- Plain white photocopy paper
- Canadian Tire Money or Points (click here for instructions)
- Paper Towels and Toilet Paper
- Large Clear or Black Bags
- Latex Gloves (size medium or large)
- Dog treats (small pieces for training)
- Cat toys
- Gift cards for hardware stores, department stores or office supply stores
*We can not accept donations of dry kibble dog food (new or opened) except for specialty diets such as Medi-cal brand. Dog food for animals in our care is provided by Iams. Cat food donations of any kind are always welcomed.