Hants Friends of the SPCA
Hants Friends of the SPCA was formed in 1993 and in February, 2010, a Junior SPCA was formed. A press release was issued to 8 West Hants Elementary schools, respective School Boards, and newspapers, announcing a search for 12 animal loving youths to join.
The goal was for these junior members to meet monthly, work on crafts, learn humane education, host their own fundraisers, assist with ours, and hopefully step into the shoes, and possibly leadership roles, of the Nova Scotia SPCA in years to come. Hants Friends of the SPCA has worked collaboratively with Kings County Region and Queens County Friends of the SPCA on education initiatives and has been championed in school programming including 8 West Hants Elementary schools. An information program in 2011 reached 1850 students and 71 teachers.
Hants Friends of the SPCA also works closely with the Town of Windsor and recently participated in the drafting of new bylaws which included the first formal adoption pact program in the province which sees dogs not redeemed turned over to the Nova Scotia SPCA for adoption.
Adopting an animal from an SPCA, humane organization or rescue group can be a very rewarding experience. You will be giving a homeless animal a second chance in life and providing it with a safe, loving “forever” home.
Cats or Kittens Adoption Fee
$150 for Cats and Kittens
Dogs or Puppies Adoption Fee
$260 for Dogs | $310 for Puppies
- Examination by a Veterinarian
- Flea/Parasite Treatment
- Feline Leukemia Test (cats)
- Vaccines to time of Adoption (core vaccines only)
- Spay or Neuter Surgery (including kittens and puppies)
- 8 week trial of NS SPCA Pet Insurance
Items We Need
- Kitty Litter
- Hill’s® Science Diet® Wet or Dry Cat or Dog food. We’re proud to feed Hill’s® Science Diet®. This provides precisely balanced nutrition that helps these pets find their way to happier, healthier lives.
- Dog collars (all sizes)
- Dog toys (kongs, and other toys suitable for large dogs)
- Dog brushes
- New or used cat carriers or dog carriers
- Cat toys (mouse type preferred)
- Gift cards for hardware stores, department stores or office supply stores
Ways To Be Involved
If you would like to attend meetings and really get involved, there are many ways to help as a member, such as listed here:
- Provide a Foster Home for cat/kittens or dogs/puppies when needed
- Suggest ideas for fundraising
- Organize or assist in organizing fund-raising activities
- Volunteer to work at fund-raising activities
- Offer any talents that may be helpful to the SPCA (graphic design for example)
- Donate pet food, dishes, litter, cleaning supplies, etc.
- Consider, and learn about, becoming a Special Investigator
Your time, more than anything, is the most valuable item you can give to assist in our endeavors. Funds collected are through time and effort DONATED by members working at events; citizens attending events, buying tickets, etc.; generous public donations and In Memory Of.
Volunteering with Hants Friends of the SPCA consists of being a foster home, assisting with fundraising events and various other tasks. Contact us or fill out an online application here to find out more ways you can help!
Junior Volunteer Program
The Hants County Junior SPCA was the first of its kind in Nova Scotia, created in Feb. 2010 for animal loving youths with the intentions of teaching them humane treatment of animals, to inspire these young people to join when old enough, and to prepare them for leadership roles with the Nova Scotia SPCA.
They have visited the Kings County shelter and learned lines of a humane education skit created by Queens County Friends of the SPCA which was presented to audiences in 5 West Hants Elementary Schools. They created placards for Halloween and marched along Windsor’s main streets to warn people of the dangers of leaving pets out during that celebration. They have created crafts and organized their own fundraisers as well as assisted with ours.
The Juniors are now under the guidance of Junior SPCA Coordinator Amy Slaunwhite, who is also a Director at Large. They meet the last Sunday of each month in Newport Corner at 6-7pm. Membership is $10 per year. Parents/guardians are welcome to attend.
Elections were held Jun. 24th with the following outcome:
President – Kaleigh McCarthy Vice President – Nakell Grandy Treasurer – Shaylin Johnson Secretary – Traykiea Grandy Group Reporter – Kallum Amero
Following the business portion of each meeting, crafts, creation of posters, guest speakers, etc. will help provide entertainment.
If you have any questions, or feel that your child (aged 8-15) would be interested in joining the group, please contact Amy at 902-253-2062 or email us for more information.
PO Box 2274, Windsor, NS B0N 2T0
902-757-2000 or 844-835-4798
Hants Friends of the SPCA does not have a physical location.