Become a Volunteer!
Do you want to volunteer at our SPCA Thrift Store? We are looking for individuals who can consistently dedicate time to volunteering at our store.
Our SPCA Thrift Store will rely heavily on volunteers, so we will be creating a consistent schedule, shifts and job descriptions!
Check out the information below and if you are interested in joining our team, fill out an application today!
- Providing exceptional customer service
- Graciously accepting donations
- Pricing and organizing donations
- Processing cash, debit and credit card payments
- Keeping the store neat & tidy
- Willing to work in a team
- Experience with cash registers an asset (but not mandatory – we’ll train you!)
- Tuesdays 10-2, 2-5, 5-8
- Wednesdays 10-2, 2-5, 5-8
- Thursdays 10-2, 2-5, 5-8
- Fridays 10-2, 2-5, 5-8
- Saturdays 10-2, 2-6
- Sundays 10-2, 2-6
- Greet customers with a friendly ‘Hello’ as they enter the store
- Ring in customer merchandise using the cash register and payment terminal
- Sweep the front end of the store at the beginning of your shift (or the end if you’re working the afternoon/evening shift)
- Ensure displays are well organized and items are on their proper rack/shelf
- Double check to make sure all items on the floor are priced
- Perform general cleaning – windows, wipe down counters, etc.
- Purge the floor – if you see something we shouldn’t be selling, put it in the donation area out back
- Assist guests as needed (request price checks if you are unsure)
- Balance cash/debit at the end of the day
Qualifications: Must be at least 18 years old and in generally good physical condition as these roles require you to stand for long period of time. This position requires lifting, bending, cleaning, and customer service skills (i.e. friendly, warm and welcoming).
- Determine which items are suitable to be placed on the store floor, price and place on appropriate back-end shelf
- Maintain a safe and clean workspace (pick up after yourself as you go)
- Test all electronics to ensure they are in working order before pricing and placing on appropriate shelf
- Bag all charity items (or box if they are delicate) and stack in the donation area – these are picked up weekly
- Assist with donation intake and drop-in donation drop-off area
- Ensure all items on back shelves are sorted appropriately and priced
- Watch for antique or valuable items and place on ‘Uniques & Antiques’ shelf to be assessed
- Before end-of-shift, finish sorting all items on sorting tables, tidy up and tie up garbage leaving the sorting area neat and tidy prior to the following days first shift
Qualifications: Must be at least 17 years old, and in generally good physical condition as these roles require you to lift and sort items as they come in. This position requires lifting, bending*, cleaning and attention to detail.
*If you are not able to bend or lift, this position can be tailored to fit your needs – please speak with a staff member about alternate arrangements.
- Drive to pick up items as requests come in
- Assess items to ensure they fit our “What We Accept” guidelines
- Deliver items to the Thrift Store (or a designated drop off spot i.e. shelter storage unit)
Qualifications: Must have a valid driver’s license and be 18 years of age or older. Must be capable of lifting heavy items into the vehicle and back into designated area. Must have a vehicle capable of housing/transporting large items.